Powered By Blogger

Sunday 16 October 2011

Damson Gin 2011

Well the hot weather this spring was truly kind to my Damson bushes this year, i had a bumper crop and even managed to supply the local green grocers. One tip i will give is when the weather goes dry for a good number of days, throw the odd bucket of water on the base of the tree just to stop the fruit from drying up. I have four demijohns on the go at the moment with the concoction in each one being the same.


One pint of gin, one pound of damsons { pricked all over } and half a pound of sugar. This has stood me the test of time but i do know some sweet toothed people who add more sugar. I shake the the mixture daily until the sugar has dissolved then let it sit for a month before straining and bottling. The lucky individuals who will be receiving a bottle of this fine liquor are a few local farmers who let me shoot on there land for bugger all, and Mr Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall for kindly signing my chefs hat at the Manchester food festival . ;} Many thanks, please try it as winter wouldn't be the same without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment